Tips For Sharing Books
(Suggestions of the American Library Association)
- Find a comfortable place to sit.
- Turn off other distractions -- television, radio or stereo.
- Hold the book so that your child can see the pages clearly.
- Involve your child by having him or her point out objects, talk about the pictures or repeat common words.
- Read with expression.
- Vary the pace of your reading.
- Have your child select books to read.
- Reread your child's favorite books whenever asked.
- Recite or sing rhymes from your favorite books.
- Make reading a habit -- before bedtime, after lunch, after nap.
Download the "Tips For Sharing Books" Bookmark (PDF; 37 kb)